September 20, 2022




Regular Meeting

September 20, 2022, 1:00 p.m.

Ridgway Public Library

300 Charles St. 

Zoom option:

passcode: 387106

Meeting was called to order at 1:07 p.m.

Trustees Present: Julie Duff, Sandy Hennessy, Dickson Pratt, Sally Trapp, Richard Tucker, Jenny Williams

Library Director: Amy Baer

APPROVAL OF July 5, 2022 MINUTES        – one correction was added to note that Richard Tucker was present for both meetings on 7.5.22.  With that change, Sandy Hennessy moved to approve and Sally Trapp seconded.   All in favor.  

NEXT MEETING: Friday, October 21, 2022 at 1:00 p.m.

PUBLIC COMMENTS:  No comments were received

FRIENDS UPDATE:  The book sale held during August was a success and raised $515.  Efforts are ongoing to accumulate new books for future sales and donations are on the rise. Sandy Hennessy and Barb Seelye are creating a little free library to be placed on the trail side of the Children’s Garden.


Anna Szczepanski from CliC (Colorado Library Consortium) Western Slope Consultant will join us – Director Baer introduced Anna who assists with resource sharing, board trainings, CEU classes and as a resource sounding board.  

Discover Garden Update – Richard Tucker and Director Baer met with Janet Smith who has been the caretaker of the children’s garden.  Janet will work to place deer pretention in certain spots within the garden so that the garden is open and accessible.  Discussion was held that the maintenance responsibilities might be offered to the Friends for 2023 or money to be added to the budget for maintenance.

Roof inspection update – Sally Trapp followed up with Matt Aupperle with FCI regarding the roof.  He reported that a crew had made repairs to the new portions of the roof and will return to make further repairs.  He will inspect once they are complete. He also reported he felt that the older portion of the roof appears to have several more years of life left.  Sally Trapp offered to create a draft estimate for the older portion of the roof for comparison.

Pergola order status – Director Baer reported that she anticipates receiving a shipping notice soon.  

Failed window glass is on order with Eagle Glass – Amy will proceed with the repair.

Develop Library Director Employment Agreement – Richard Tucker presented a draft of an agreement adapted from online resources.  Discussion was had to engage a local attorney to review.  This item to be addressed at a future meeting.

FAMLI-POLICY – Dickson Pratt presented information on the FAMLI program; discussion was held regarding the options.  Director Baer and Dickson Pratt will clarify the options to be discussed at the next meeting.

Kristen Moberg email request to dedicate Children’s Room – the board reviewed the library naming policy documents and discussion regarding discussion with the Friends was held.  Jenny Williams to present the request and review the naming policies with the Friends for feedback.

Board member terms – trustees Richard Tucker and Jeff Pryor have terms that will terminate in December 2022.  Richard to discuss with Jeff if he is interested in running again.  President Tucker announced he will be stepping down from his position and the Board.


Treasurer Duff presented the draft budget – revisions ongoing, to be finalized and voted on before December 15th.

Welcome letters to new property owners – Treasurer Duff requested an updated list of new property owners to mail the postcard to.


Library Stats: Visits are up, both in person and utilization of the various digital resources.

Programming in the library – many programs have resumed such as story hours, bilingual story hour, teen café, craft time and Lego club.

Grant updates – RPL has received three grants this year totaling $15,500.  Director Baer has reviewed the terms of the grants and is updating items such as flip bins in the children’s section, play aways, wonder books, and updates to the local history section.

Current Staff members- Director Baer reviewed the current staff and their roles.

Material Selection Policy – this item postponed until the next meeting.

SB21-088: 2021 Child Sexual Abuse Accountability Act – Anna Szczepanski presented information; discussion and any action postponed until the next meeting.

Peak Alarm Contact List – Director Baer reviewed the contact list and has updated it with current staff and trustee contacts.

ADJOURNMENT – Richard Tucker moved to adjourn the meeting at 3:30 p.m. and Jenny Williams seconded.  Motion passed unanimously.